What Is the Catechumenate?
The catechumenate — a process of faith formation and discipling that began in the early centuries of the Christian Church — has been reclaimed in the twentieth century, primarily as a result of the work of the Roman Catholic Church in the development of the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. During the past two decades non-catholic Christian churches have slowly begun to understand the catechumenate as a process of faith formation and spiritual development for twenty-first century people who have little or no previous association with the Christian faith. The catechumenate is also being adapted in congregations for renewal in the processes of the Baptism of infants and children, in confirmation ministry, and in the affirmation of Baptism or the reaffirmation of the Baptismal covenant by the already baptized.
The catechumenate focuses on the development of the disciplines of faith: corporate worship, the study of Scripture, prayer, and baptismal living. The process is countercultural in that it is
- process-oriented rather than program-oriented,
- lay-led rather than clergy dominated,
- formation in Christ rather than information about Christ.
Through the catechumenate, adults on a spiritual quest are offered an apprenticeship in the life of faith and those already baptized are aided in the deepening of their faith and commitment.
NAAC Mission Statement
The North American Association for the Catechumenate seeks to promote and nurture the catechumenal process in order that the whole faith community might fulfill Christ's commission to make disciples, baptizing and teaching all peoples. See Board of Directors.
- To provide for annual gatherings, correspondence, and publications for an exchange of information pertaining to the catechumenal process
- To advocate for — and to promote a better understanding of — the catechumenal process
- To be available to all denominations at all levels to advise and assist in the implementation and development of the catechumenal process
- To promote and effectively implement the inculturation and adaptation of the catechumenate
Brochure: North American Association for the Catechumenate
A brochure on NAAC is available for downloading by clicking here.
By-laws of the Association
The by-laws of the North American Association for the Catechumenate, Inc. are available for downloading by clicking here.